Saturday, August 17, 2013

Day 80, Missoula Rabble, Erwin

Missoula Rabble, This man is an inspiration. As soon as I saw him walk into the gym this morning, I knew I had to approach him. Erwin Byrnes works out three days a week at 6:30am. He turns 85 next month. "I've come down with Parkinson's and its been an ongoing battle," he said. "If you don't workout at my age you lose your ability to do a lot of things." Erwin retired as a property manager and also worked as a school teacher and administrator for many years. He refereed local football and basketball games for 38 years and said he has always prioritized his health.

3 comments:

  1. What happened to the rest of the year. I have just spent two hours getting to December and all of a sudden, Santa Claus did not come this year. Did we not make 365? Love the life on this wonderful blog and the picture of Erwin who never forgot any of us lucky to so very have known him from high school to forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erwin is dmy father in law for the past 28 years. He passed away yesterday, March 17th surrounded by his family. Erwin was the most fair, non judgmental, accepting and loving man I have ever known. During the last month he received many many visits, letters and cards from friends and former students an athletes - one from a student he had in Red Lodge back in the 60's! This lifted his spirits so much. Thank you all. He passed speaking of sports, which he loved so much. He and his lovely wife of 63 years, Ethel, and his 6 kids, Jack, Laura, Jean, tom, Andrea and Betsy, Many grand kids and great grand kids will miss him every day. He was an inspiration to so many who knew him. As for me, he made me want to be a better person. I love him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unknown - 365 days does still live on and I also have a project I call Missoula Rabble. Missoula Rabble is on facebook if you'd like to see more profiles of random Missoulians. I am publishing a book in September.

    Monica - Thank you so much for the update. Erwin was such a gentleman and such an inspiration. He sounds like he made a huge impact on those around him. I hope you and your family are doing well after your loss. I feel very lucky to have met him and to have him in this series.

    ReplyDelete